Chapathi ಚಪಾತಿ/ Roti is a very popular and common food both in North and South India and across the globe. It can be taken as a breakfast, lunch or dinner, most of the diet-conscious people and diabetics replace rice with chapathi. Here are few tips while kneading the dough that help in making soft chapathis/rotis…
Dough should be soft ( but not sticky ) and it should be kneaded very well. It must be kneaded by adding water little by little and kept aside for 30 mins and closed with a lid ( Closing by lid keeps away the dough from drying, getting thick which makes the chapathi turn hard/rough ) .
ಚಪಾತಿ ಹಿಟ್ಟು ಚೆನ್ನಾಗಿ ನಾದಿ ಕಲಸಬೇಕು.. ಹಿಟ್ಟು ತುಂಬಾ ಗಟ್ಟಿಯಾಗೂ ಇರದೇ, ಹಾಗೆ ಅತಿ ಮೃದುವಾಗಿರದೆ, ಕೈಗಂಟದಂತಿರಬೇಕು.. ಚಪಾತಿ ಹಿಟ್ಟನ್ನು ಲಟ್ಟಿಸುವುದಕ್ಕೆ, ಬೇರೆ ಬೇರೆ ವಿಧಾನಗಳಿವೆ… ಮುಂದೆ ಯಾವುದಾದರೂ ಪೋಸ್ಟ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಹಾಕುತ್ತೇನೆ..
- Water used to knead must be warm ( or little more than warm) so that evenly the whole chapathi will get roasted properly.( even at the edges).. ಉಗುರು ಬೆಚ್ಚಗಿನ ನೀರು ಹಾಕಿ ಕಲಸಿದರೆ, ಮೃದುವಾಗಿ ಬರುತ್ತದೆ ಚಪಾತಿ..
- While flattening the dough, try not to make it thick at the edges , by rolling out evenly.
- We can add little oil while kneading and pour 3 to 4 tspns oil after kneading to keep the dough in proper consistency and easy rolling. ಎಣ್ಣೆ ಅಥವಾ ತುಪ್ಪ ಹಾಕಿ ಕಲಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಿ..
Below picture shows different ways to fold and roll Chapathis:-
Below tips help while rolling and roasting the chapathis:-
- While rolling out chapathis we need to focus on the edges rather than the centre part of the dough so that it will not get thicker at the edges.
- Head the Tawa/ Kaavali and first roast little 1 side of the chapathi and flip on the other side. This roasts evenly both sides first time, next add little oil and roast both the sides.. Both sides roasts evenly and correctly.
- Uneven roasting or making thicker at the edges isnt liked by many people and not good for digestion as well.
- After roasting let it cool well and then put in air tight boxes.