As the name suggests, seven cup burfi has exactly seven cups of ingredients, as needed for its preparation.. Though the ingredients used like besan, ghee, sugar are same as that of Mysore Pak, the taste and addition of milk, coconut differentiates it with the former.. My mom makes the same sweet variation using maida too even that tastes good..
This sweet can be made for Deepavali, Gokulaashtami, Ganesha chaturthi, Dasara etc..
Kadale hiTTu or besan ಕಡಲೆ ಹಿಟ್ಟು- 1cup
Ghee ತುಪ್ಪ- 1 cup
Coconut ತೆಂಗಿನ ತುರಿ- 1 cup
Milk ಹಾಲು – 1 cup
Sugar ಸಕ್ಕರೆ – 3 cups
Dry fruits – few raisins and cashew nuts optional ಒಣ ಹಣ್ಣುಗಳು ಸ್ವಲ್ಪ ಬೇಕಾದರೆ
Cardamom powder ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ ಪುಡಿ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದು – 2 tspns
A tray or flat surface greased with ghee.
1. Fry dry fruits in a spoon of ghee and keep aside.
2. In the same pan dry roast besan or gram flour for 3 minutes , until the besan is slightly hot, just to remove raw smell of besan. Cool.
3. To the same pan having besan, add Sugar, Grated fresh coconut, milk ,half cup ghee and mix well evenly and switch on the stove.
4. Keep the stove in medium and low heat and stir the mixture well and continuously.Gradually keep on adding remaining ghee in between…
5. Now there comes a stage when the mixture starts forming bubbles at top and sides and mixture leaves sides of the pan… Now add fried dry fruits, cardamom powder…
6. Stir again until it forms a single thick mass.. Now pour the mixture onto a greased tray.. Tap well… Leave it for at least 45 minutes or until warm..
7. Now take a knife, smear it with ghee and mark to square or diamond shapes.. once it fully cools, cut the sweet into pieces.
8. Store in air tight boxes.
1. For a cup of 250 grams besan measurement, it will take nearly 40-45 minutes so keep stirring until a single dough mass forms..
2. In case if you pour mixture before, then it becomes too soft to cut into pieces.. no need to panic here. Just pour it back to same pan, and re cook for few more minutes until it leaves sides of the pan..
3. For the above measurement you will get 35 to 40 medium pieces of burfis.. Do try and let me know how it turns out to you?💐💐💐💐